Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Science Project - Here's How We Pick One [sciencetechnology-center.blogspot.com]

A Science Project - Here's How We Pick One [sciencetechnology-center.blogspot.com]

Every time one of the kids comes home with the dreaded form which they have to populate with an outline for their annual Science Fair project, my wife and I get a pit in our stomach. Let's face it, a science project becomes a family project. I can't imagine we're alone in feeling that way. Now don't get me wrong, we're not anti-science. Let me take that back, I'm not anti-science, my wife on the other hand, well...

It also has a lot to do with what type of kids you have. We have two which are on the opposite sides of the spectrum. One is very self sufficient, and the other is very needy. Nonetheless, it's still pretty stressful to pull off a successful science project, no matter what level of aptitude.

A Science Fair Guru is probably not going to like this, but oh well. Our formula is pretty simple; pick a project with a ratio that has the most amount of learning and least amount of work. That's right, least amount of work! I know, I know, you have to do th e work and research, blah, blah, blah. My philosophy is work smart not hard. At a job, it's get it done, do it right, and in the least amount of time.

I know there is a lot of value in a science project, and there are all kinds of scholarships and prize money. Not to mention that colleges look at what you've done, of any significance, when presented with an opportunity. However, almost every kid is going to need some help or input from a parent, and with most parents struggling to make ends meet, the reality is that little Johnny will be on his own for the most part.

There are tons of resources out there on the web which have easy projects, hard projects, learning projects and some projects that leave you scratching your head. Since I've done a few of these with my little cherubs, I'll list a few things you should consider in selecting a science project.

Most experts tell you to first pick "what interests you". I say that's hogwash. I tell my kids to look for something that will be easily created and most importantly easily presented to the class. Trust me it will be "interesting". This should be common sense, but I still remind them that they should probably not use people, animals, controlled or hazardous substances. Do not pick one that requires consumable items. My daughter did a liquid density experiment where you pour various liquids on top of each other with different densities. It consisted of rubbing alcohol, dish detergent, Karo syrup and a few others which I don't care to remember. I probably spent $ 60 on these items because we ran out twice while practicing her presentation. Not to mention the smelly cleanup after every attempt. Make sure your presentation is neat and well organized. My daughter always tends to get a better grade than my son because she is very detail oriented. She makes sure everything is presentable. My son on the other hand just wants to get it done and over with. Takes after the wife I guess.

The main thing is that you have fun with your kids. I think I actually enjoy doing a Science Experiment more than the children. It's really good quality time and I usually take the opportunity to talk about something different, out of the ordinary. We don't get much time with our kids with our busy schedules, sports, activities, etc. As much as I talk a big game about trying to get it done quickly and out of the way, when the nest is empty, I will miss the science project.

Recommend A Science Project - Here's How We Pick One Articles

Question by cookies 'n cream: What is the best science experiment plant? I want a plant this is not too expensive and grows fairly fast. My Science Fair Project is due in a few months, but I'm not very patient. Best answer for What is the best science experiment plant?:

Answer by Harpreet S
sweet pea, which was used for Mendel's experiments. Tradescantia

รข€" [Science]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...